Jump to Navigation

Rights of Unmarried Parents

Los Angeles Unmarried Parents' Rights Attorney

Parents have rights and responsibilities, regardless of whether they are married or unmarried. However, when a child is born to unmarried parents, there are steps that must be taken in order to acknowledge the legal relationship between the father and the child. At the Law and Mediation Offices of Barbara Irshay Zipperman, we assist mothers and fathers through the legal process of establishing paternity and related matters of child custody, visitation and child support.

Los Angeles unmarried parents' rights lawyer Barbara Irshay Zipperman has extensive experience representing Sherman Oaks and Los Angeles in legal issues involving paternity, child custody and child support. In working with our law firm, you will find that our primary focus is always on the best interests of the children involved and finding legal solutions that preserve those interests.

Put our more than 30 years of experience to work for you by contacting our family law firm to arrange an initial consultation.

Helping California Unmarried Parents Establish Paternity

When a child is born to married parents, the husband is presumed to be the child's biological father. This legal relationship allows the child to receive certain government benefits, health care benefits and other benefits through the father. It also entitles the child to intestate inheritance rights should it ever become an issue. If the couple should ever divorce or separate, the court can render decisions involving child custody and child support.

However, there is no presumption of who the biological father is when a child is born to unmarried parents. The legal relationship between father and child can be established either through a Voluntary Declaration of Paternity (which is usually signed at the hospital) or through a Petition to Establish Parental Relationship (which is filed with the court). Our law firm can answer your questions and assist you in the process of establishing paternity.

Sherman Oaks, California, Child Custody and Support Lawyer

Many times, there is an informal understanding between the mother and father about the father's involvement in the child's life and about child support that will be provided. However, unless the father is legally established as the child's father, these arrangements have virtually no merit if they are ever brought to the court. Additionally, without establishing paternity, the court will not have the authority to address concerns involving the father's legal rights and obligations, such as:

  • What if the child's mother wants to move out of the state with my child?
  • Can I seek custody of my child?
  • How can I establish child support or modify child support?
  • What are my visitation rights?

Contact a Los Angeles Child Custody and Family Lawyer

For more information about paternity or establishing parental rights as an unmarried parent, contact our family law firm to arrange an initial consultation with Sherman Oaks, California, child custody and support attorney.

Learn More About Family Law

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Learn More About Family Law Click Here

In recent years, more than 60% of California marriages have ended in divorce. If you have questions about how California law may address the issues in your marriage, contact a California family law attorney.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

16133 Ventura Boulevard Suite 685 - Encino, California (CA) 91436 - P: (818) 995-8600 - F: (818) 901-0372- EMAIL US